On Sunday morning, I was making breakfast for my family. Inside the carton of eggs was a note from the farmer. It shared the secret to happy, healthy hens that produce healthy eggs...and that secret resided in the number 108.
“The Certified Humane® pasture-raised standards that we follow state that 108 sqft. per hen is the minimum needed to keep both hens and grasses healthy, a number that comes from well researched studies into flock densities and soil management.” [Click to read the entire note.]
But 108 also happens to be a magic number.
The number 108 shows up a surprising number of times in nature and spirituality:
- Mathematicians have called 108 “a number of the wholeness of existence” and “a natural number.”
- The average distance of the Sun and the Moon to Earth is 108 times their respective diameters.
- Buddhist and Hindi malas (prayer beads) come in strings of 108 beads.
- Catholic rosaries have 54 beads (54 x 2 = 108).
- Ayurvedic yoga identifies 108 pressure points.
- The Sanskrit alphabet contains 54 letters, each with a masculine and feminine, for a total of 108 letters.
- Buddhism recognizes 108 feelings.
- A baseball has 108 stitches. And there were 108 years between world series wins for the Cubs...coincidence? (Yeah, probably.)
Can 108 also be a magic number for your real estate business?
How ‘108’ applies to your real estate business
While we at Realvolve advocate for putting ALL CONTACTS in your RV database and fostering a relationship, there will always be a select group you should focus your energies on.
Anthropologist Robin Dunbar would suggest limiting your select group to 150 people. According to him, humans are only capable of maintaining 150 meaningful relationships at a time.
But I like 108. It’s manageable, yet still large enough to generate some serious income. And it connects us to something bigger than real estate. Its link to Buddhist principles helps us remember to be mindful of our greater purpose—our Why.
Do you have your magic 108?
Are there 108 people in your Realvolve database who know, like, and TRUST you as a real estate professional? When they think of you, their first thought should be "[insert your name] is a great human and an expert real estate pro...I trust him/her."
If you have that 108, you likely have a solid foundation built. If you don't, start there.